Wednesday, July 15, 2009

cup·cake (kŭp'kāk') n. A small cake baked in a cup-shaped container. WRONG

So I work at a hair salon, right? They used to turn to one of my coworkers, Tracy, for birthday cakes, but somehow I seemed to have inherited this responsibility...

Jeremy does my hair, he's totally awesome at what he does, and his birthday was a couple days ago. He jokingly asked when I was making his birthday cake so I figured I might as well go ahead and do it. I mean, I live for these things, right? And I have a wicked new piping set that I was dying to try out :D.

Besides my ridonkulous piping set, I also wanted to pull something cool out of my closet that I haven't used in a very long time. A CUPCAKE CAKE PAN! WHOA! It's like a cupcake, BUT SUPER HUGE.

CUPCAKE!

There are things that I like and don't like about these kinds of cakes. What I really like about them is that cupcakes are designed to be single servings, right? No cutting, no plating, no fork, you just unwrap your cupcakes shove it in your face. This is truly an American portion sized cupcake, and I would really like to watch somebody pick it up and eat it. No cutting. No plating. No fork. :D

What I don't like about it is that it's holds so much less frosting! See how it's kinda but not really frosted on the sides? Well... the cake pan is really two different section, a section for the bottom and a section for the top:

Photobucket

I knew since I was piping the top I wouldn't fit quite so much frosting on it, and I didn't want to frost the sides cause then it would have looked more like a blob than a cupcake. I decided, to make up for lost frosting, to pile it high on top of the bottom section before putting the top part on. It just so happens that the chocolate frosting I made was a little lighter than the top of the cupcake... only a few minutes into piping the carefully placed top of the cake, Sally, who I have recently apprenticed, screamed in the most horrifying banshee-like voice "OHMYGODOHMYGODIT'SFALLINGIT'SFALLINGAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!" I thought we were gonna die. Turns out only Sally was going to die, cause it was Monday night at 11:30PM and my dad was already in bed and my mom just about tore her head of for screeching like a cat getting a bikini wax that late at night. This whole ordeal would have been exponentially more hilarious if the top of my cupcake was not in fact quickly making a run for the bottom of the plate. Even though I caught it before it tumbled to disaster, the generous amount of icing I had piled in between the two layers came gushing out all over and fell less than gracefully all around the base of my once lovely cupcake. Damn it. I tried to make it decorative but ultimately failed and decided instead to smooth out all the icing that had accumulated at the bottom into a little chocolate moat and covered it with sprinkles!

I got so frosting happy that I even decided to write on my cupcake :)

Photobucket

I love birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment