Sunday, July 5, 2009

Apple Technology Has It's Place EVERYWHERE

I'm getting to the point where I have to carefully choose which recipes I actually want to blog about. Yesterday I whipped up three separate goods: watermelon lemonade, olive bread, and banana bread. Today I decided to experiment with my bread machine again and cranked out a loaf of whole wheat honey bread which I have to mention merely because bread machines ARE SO AWESOME. I like to cook/bake when I have generous amounts of time to dedicate to the task at hand, but if I want to make something in a hurry my bread machine is my new best friend. Let me illustrate what I mean for you. This is what I put in the bread machine

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

and this is what came out!

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

I didn't even have to mix the ingredients! Just dump them in, close the lid, press start, and four hours later... bread! Too awesome.

But anyway, more to tell. So my mom and I went to get massages at Foot Finesse today, a place at Rangeline and 116th that does these full body massage things for $25. One hour for $25, I recommend it, it was nice :). Well on the way back home my mom informed me we needed to stop at Meijer to get mayonnaise for a cole slaw recipe she wanted to make to go alongside the bratwurst that would grace our dinner table this evening. Two things I don't really care for: cole slaw and bratwurst. I decided to make a salad, but as creative as I can be with food I cannot put an impromptu salad together for the life of me. Just as I was about to resort to concocting my own recipe it dawned on me that I had recently added a number of free applications to my iPhone. I opened my recipe search engine, curtesy of Whole Foods, and immediately had hundreds of salad recipes literally at my fingertips! I chose a "Fresh Mozzarella Salad with Avocado, Roasted Corn and Grape Tomatoes." Yum.

Roasted Corn, Mozzarella, and Grape Tomato Salad

Chunks of mozzarella, avocado, tomatoes, corn, black beans, all lightly dressed and seasoned with fresh chives and basil on a bed of spinach. Oh yes. I found the recipe online just for you because it went over so well with my parents and the couple they had over: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=548. I made it right before we ate dinner, though, and I felt like it would've been much better chilled, so I'd recommend making it an hour or so ahead of time and let it hang out in the fridge for a bit. Oh yeah, and I only used one avocado because I felt like two (the recipe's instructions) seemed a little overwhelming. The salad could've handled two avocados pretty easily, but I was happy with the turnout so it's up to you. What I really like about this recipe is that it's heavy enough to be a meal itself, but it's also light and clean enough to work well as a summertime side dish. Either way, it's deliciously fresh and so pretty!

4 comments:

  1. That bread looks delicious! ROFL Foot Finesse. I was in the car the other day and my dad saw it and was like "Foot Fetish? What kind of place is that? Ohhhh, Foot Finesse!" Yeah dad, you go in there and people are licking each other toes... >_> And I like things so simple.. I'm picky about that. My salads are extremely plain.. topped with ranch dressing. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not gonna lie Claggy's comment made me throw up a little in my throat. "Yeah dad, you go in there and people are licking each other toes" Gross!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ranch dressing part was what got to me... I'm afraid of ranch dressing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, sorry you had to see that Tomarvel. And what is wrong with ranch dressing, Molly?! D:

    ReplyDelete