Friday, June 19, 2009

Flippin' Awesome Breakfast

I shouldn't lie to you as often as I do, but I just can't help it. I make plans, what to bake, when to bake it, what's for dinner... and they always fall through. Mostly because my mind wanders. I WILL make raw rood recipes (again, waiting to get my butt up and buy ingredients) and I WILL make those cookies (probably when I get back from London because I have a feeling it will be mostly me eating them) and I WILL decorate a couple cakes with my new fancy tools (in fact, Father's Day is Saturday!!!), just not today.

Today I got up and reminisced about the whole wheat pancakes I had at Denny's while in Bloomington for orientation. They were fluffly, delicious, and most likely not as whole wheat as they could be. So this morning, I denounced the Bisquick box and searched for a homemade whole wheat pancake recipes, making sure I had fluffy in the google search box, too. And later buttermilk. Apparently that's important to the fluffy factor, or so says the internet.

This is the first time that I'm actually writing while in the process of cooking. While each side of my little cakes cooks I'm typing up this entry. So basically every few sentances or so I'm getting up to flip a cake! I did right after that last paragraph. It was the first one. It was not fluffy. Grrr... Oh well, Sally's happily eating a chocolate chip laced whole wheat pancake which is a rather big feat, so I suppose I can't be too too picky. And I'm not going to lie, they are kinda pretty :).


Whole Wheat Pancakes


So Sally and her friend, both outside working our neighborhood garage sale while I happily make breakfast in my pjs, are having chocolate chip pancakes. And then there's me. Did you really think I would be so plain? I haven't made my pancake, about to do so now actually, but I'm going to add a teaspoon of flaxseeds to the batter instead of chocolate chips and make a yogurt-honey combination to go on top. A while back I was looking for a healthier way to douse down my pancakes, I had gotten into the habit of topping them with a thick layer of peanut butter, banana slices, and finally maple syrup, which although absolutely divine is a pretty redonkulously calorie ladden breakfast. Yogurt may not sound like a maple syrup substitute, but trust me, it's awesome. I'm a plain yogurt person, so I like to mix non-fat plain yogurt with a little cinnamon (actually, a lot of cinnamon...) and some honey for my topping, but in the past I've used fruity yogurts as well. I went through a phase a couple years ago where I topped ego waffles with a combination of Light 'n Fit yogurt and smashed berries. They are both delicious, and awesome topping choices even if you're not looking for a healthy alternative to regular syrup. But if you are concerned about healthy eating, make sure whatever yogurt you choose has "live active cultures" written on the container, that's the good stuff! Taking a break now to enjoy my own pancake :D...


Whole Wheat Pancakes


THAT WAS SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!! I can't lie to you, that was a freaking delicious pancake! Sally even said it was awesome, not good, not ok, awesome. So good in fact, that I'm going to put the recipe on here!!! I made a couple changes myself, I used 3/4 cups low-fat buttermilk and 1/2 cup of skim milk, I didn't fill my 1/4 measuring cup quite full when I measured my sugar, I just used a pinch of salt, and put about a 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in my batter. Oh yeah, and the flax seed I put in my pancake were whole. Otherwise, I followed these directions....

Ingredients

Directions

1. Whisk together dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients in another. (Whisk just basically means stir, I used a fork to quickly combine the two mixtures.)
2. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir only until most of the dry ingredients are in moistened. DO NOT OVERSTIR. Your batter should be lumpy, if it's not, your pancakes will have zero fluff factor!
3. Liberally coat a skillet with non-stick cooking spray or butter and pre-heat. Keep the temperature pretty low when you're cooking pancakes, otherwise the outside will be crispy and the inside will be batter mush. Gross.
4. Pour about 1/4 cup batter into the center of the pan and spread slightly. Cook until the edges puff a little and the batter begins to bubble. Flip and let cook for a few more minutes on the other side.
5. Figure out what you want to put on top of your pancake, put it on top of your pancake, and eat.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 until your batter is gone, then repeat steps 1-5 ;).

Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I was not aware that Denny's had whole wheat pancakes. In fact I was not aware that there was such a thing. You can make homemade pancakes that don't involve a bisquik box? Amazing! Actually though, they sound pretty darn delicious and the next time I make pancakes I may have to try some. Of the chocolate chip variety with lots of maple syrup of course....

    ReplyDelete